Monday, June 26, 2017

ADOPT A CAT MONTH

Quote for the week:

All right, I know June is almost over, but I was looking for something to post today and discovered that June is Adopt a Cat Month. I did not exactly adopt my two cats; rather, they adopted me. And I'm so happy they did.

First, Patches. In 2006, I saw her one day,on the patio. She was catching moths off the wall and eating them. I already had one cat and didn't want another, but  what could I do? Let her starve. Nope. She was maybe half grown and very shy. (Boy has she changed.) Anyhow, I decided to feed her, but keep her outside. Well, you know how that worked. At first she wouldn't come near me. Slowly she decided I was her friend, and now, she's the boss.


Patches likes to read.


She picks her snack up with her paw.




She's curious about the printer.


Second, Tiger. In 2008, I looked out on the patio and the ugliest cat I'd ever seen was looking back at me. His ears were all bloody. He was skinny, skinny, and I tried to ignore him, hoping he'd go away. That lasted an hour or so. It was summer and hot. He needed shelter, but not in the house. So I put a box under a tree with soft towels in it for him to stay cool. I fed him too, outside of course. A skunk later, a rainstorm, and this pathetic little cat, about a year old, joined Patches in the house. (My older cat had gone to cat heaven in the meantime.) So, Tiger and I went to the vet, who doctored his ears and his other problems. And he's the sweetest, best-tempered cat I've ever owned. Or who has ever owned me. He's sickly. Lots of visits to the vet. He's also the first cat that's ever gone for a walk with me.

Tiger likes to mow the grass.



He likes to climb trees.


He likes to slide down the van windshield.


So, if you need a new friend, one that will return your love, adopt a cat or two.

Happy Reading!



18 comments:

  1. I got my cat many years ago because my son whose cat it was had to move away fro work reasons, we had her fourteen years....the last four she was diabetic and I had to give her shots every day.
    Your pictures are awesome. I so so love cats but am unable to have pets where I live.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how you gave her shots, Yvonne. My cats won't let me give them medicine. I have to chase them around the house. Now that's a sight to see. :)

      Delete
  2. Tiger reminds of my sweet cat-my only. Now I have a dog I adopted from the Humane Society. Pets are wonderful companions. Don't know what I'd do without mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, Natalie. Pets sure are good company. They listen to us and accept us for what we are. I've had dogs too, but at the present just cats. My son has a dog that visits us.

      Delete
  3. LOL! They both sound like Rocko and Spunky. Little tramps suckered us into bringing them into the house.

    We're going to start looking for another cat or two, or a cat and dog, near the end of summer. We really miss having an animal in the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Diane. When they give us that look, who can resist?

      Our pets do make a difference. Even though they sleep a lot, it sure would be quiet without the cats around. I love dogs too, but don't have one at the moment.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like they keep life fun for you, Beverly:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure do, Karin. They're sort of like children. You feed them. You change them. (With cats it's the litter box.) They win your heart, even when they're sharpening their claws on your sofa.

      Delete
  5. Your cats knew a good thing when they saw it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they did, Alex. They gave me that look. How could I resist?

      Delete
  6. They sure know how to keep things fun. Not long before they get into the house indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats are pretty clever, Pat. They know how to touch your heart.

      Delete
  7. Wow your story about Patches is almost exactly the same way I got my cat Gizmo! I'd love more cats but he would not put up with it. Plus my apartment is too small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the name Gizmo. I know what you're saying. Patches isn't crazy about Tiger. She attacks him whenever I'm not looking. I've been working with her, giving her more attention, and she's better now, unless I'm not watching. She's learning though. Poor Tiger walks around her. She has him spooked.

      Delete
  8. They are special creatures. I'm without cats at the moment. Kind of sad. Have you visited Sandra Cox today? You must.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd really miss my kitties. They're good company. I just visited Sandra Cox. Cool. My cats leave the room when I play the piano. Mmm, wonder what I'm doing wrong.

      Delete
  9. Oh, Beverly, I loved your post. And so glad your little buddies found you. Tiger might have started out an ugly duckling but he morphed into a beauty. I think tabbies are one of the friendliest kitties going.
    You're a great kitty mom.
    Funny about the cats leaving the room when you play:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandra. I'm glad they found me too. You're right. Now I see Tiger's markings as beautiful and he has the sweetest temperament. Yeah, they definitely aren't crazy about me playing the piano. :)

      Delete